Please ask your Members of Congress to do the same.
Children under the age of 18 comprise nearly fifty percent of the population of the occupied Palestinian territory. The prospect for peace depends on their ability to thrive without fear of mistreatment at the hands of the Israeli military.
Sep 12, 2018
We are writing to express our gratitude for your leadership in co-sponsoring HR. 4391, the Promoting Human Rights by Ending Israeli Military Detention of Palestinian Children Act. This legislation, as you know, seeks to ensure US aid to Israel is not used to mistreat Palestinian youth in the Israeli military detention system.
Our faith commitments call us to pay particular attention to the rights of the vulnerable, including children. We are encouraged by this legislation, and hopeful it will ensure the United States is not supporting the continued trauma inflicted on Palestinian youth entangled in the Israeli military detention system.
As religious leaders in the United States, we are committed to a just and lasting peace for Israelis and Palestinians. Children under the age of 18 comprise nearly fifty percent of the population of the occupied Palestinian territory, and the prospect for peace depends on their ability to thrive without fear of mistreatment at the hands of the Israeli military.
We are grateful for your service to your constituents and the country. Thank you again for your decision to cosponsor HR 4391. We offer our thoughts and prayers for your service.
- Joyce Ajlouny, General Secretary, American Friends Service Committee
- Rev. Eddy Alemán, General Secretary, Reformed Church in America
- Nicholas Anton, Director, Inter-Orthodox Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
- J. Ron Byler, Executive Director, Mennonite Central Committee US
- Rev. Dr. Mae Elise Cannon, Executive Director, Churches for Middle East Peace
- Sister Patricia Chappell, Executive Director, Pax Christi USA
- The Most Rev. Michael B. Curry, Presiding Bishop and Primate, The Episcopal Church
- Marie Dennis, Co-President, Pax Christi International
- Rev. Dr. John Dorhauer, General Minister and President, United Church of Christ
- The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, Presiding Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Rev. Dr. Susan Henry-Crowe, General Secretary, General Board of Church and Society, The United Methodist Church
- Dr. Nathan Hosler, Director, Office of Peacebuilding and Policy Church of the Brethren
- Rev. Julia Brown Karimu, Co-Executive, Global Ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ
- Gerry Lee, Director, Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns
- Eli McCarthy, Director, Justice and Peace Conference of Major Superiors of Men
- Rev. John L. McCullough, President and CEO, Church World Service
- Rev. Dr. James Moos, Co-Executive, Global Ministries of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ
- Rev. Dr. J. Herbert Nelson, Stated Clerk of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Rev. Teresa Hord Owens, General Minister and President, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Diane Randall, Executive Secretary, Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Nikki Toyama-Szeto, Executive Director, Evangelicals for Social Action/The Sider Center
- Steve Timmermans, Executive Director, Christian Reformed Church of North America
- Dr. Al Tizon, Affiliate Associate Professor of Missional and Global Leadership, North Park Theological Seminary
- Jim Winkler, President and General Secretary, National Council of Churches