Quds News Network slammed the move by the social media giant as politically motivated.
By MEE staff | Middle East Eye | Jan 2, 2021
“For years, American apps, including Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp, have been deleting and deactivating the accounts of Palestinians in coordination with the Israeli government and security agencies, on the pretext of preventing Palestinian ‘incitement and hate speech'”
— Quds News Network (QNN)
A popular Palestinian news platform said that it was removed from popular social media app TikTok without any notice, in a move it claimed to be connected to news content it published.
Quds News Network’s (QNN) website and social media accounts frequently publish videos on Palestinian news that quickly go viral, including 1,200 videos on TikTok, before it was banned.
QNN’s director Ahmad Jarrar accused TikTok of being in “partnership with the occupation”.
“On the first day of 2021, TikTok deletes the Quds network account because of our criticism of Arab normalisation,” he tweeted.
In a statement, account manager Hamzah al-Shobaki said they had been posting frequently about the Israeli occupation and recent normalization deals between Israel and Arab countries, which have angered Palestinians.